Herbs for Epilepsy
People dealing with epilepsy are undergoing brain neuronal changes that cause seizures. Their normal neurological activity becomes disrupted, causing debilitating seizures and convulsions. If you or a loved one is dealing with seizures or epilepsy (epileptic seizures) then you can find a great deal of help using the best Herbs for Epilepsy. Preventing epileptic seizures is your best course of action, as you can usually tell when a seizure is about to happen. Choosing a healthy diet for epilepsy with the natural remedies for seizures prevention can be a long-term help in preventing epileptic triggers and seizures from happening.
Always call 911 in a an emergency or when you are having a seizure that lasts more than 5 minutes. Vitamins, minerals and herbs for epilepsy can work with your current medicines (always ask your health care provider to see if any medicines you are taking interfere with them.) You can eventually get off most seizure medicines by using proper seizure prevention methods below and being consistent with them.
What Causes Epilepsy
What Causes Epilepsy? There are many potential causes of epilepsy and seizures. Lead poisoning (heavy metals, EMF radiation exposure,) radiation exposure, parasites, lack of oxygen, brain trauma, brain tumor, genetic issue, alcohol withdrawal (delirium tremens) or chemical drug withdrawal or use of stimulants.
Serotonin has a huge part to play in the role of Epilepsy. The risk of epileptic fits increased the lower the neurological Serotonin level was. Studies have shown that therapies that increase Serotonin levels decreased the number of epileptic fits greatly and that's what the vitamins and herbs for epilepsy at the bottom of this page do. Here are the most common causes of epilepsy:
- Head injury that causes damage to brain tissues and neurons.
- Trauma at birth, or high fever.
- Certain prescription medicine side effects or toxic substances like heavy metals
- Decreased oxygen and blood flow to the brain caused by stroke or certain cardiovascular issues.
- Conditions that affect brain and neuron chemicals (overly excite the brain)
- Damage or imbalance in brain nerve cells.
- Infections, Viral, Bacterial, Fungal, etc.
You can prevent and lessen the severity of epileptic seizures by avoiding the triggers of epilepsy and using the best herbs for epilepsy you can get (shown at the bottom of this page.) Diet plays a big role in preventing the triggers and sensitivity to seizures. Epilepsy and seizures can happen to dogs, cats and other pets as well as people of all ages.
Symptoms of Epilepsy
What are the most common signs and symptoms of epilepsy? Being prepared and knowing what triggers epilepsy symptoms can help you prevent them. Here are the most common symptoms of epilepsy ?
- A Strong Feeling That Something Is Off
- Body or Head Shaking
- Difficulty Talking Clearly
- Stiffness of Muscles
- Biting Your Tongue
- Falling Down
- Blank Stares
If you feel any of these symptoms of epileptic seizure coming on, you will want to use the vitamins or herbs for epilepsy to prevent this from happening to you or a loved one again!
What Triggers Epilepsy
What Triggers Epilepsy? Certain things can cause a seizure or convulsions in people, particularly those with any type of epilepsy like idiopathic epilepsy. Here is what triggers seizures or epileptic convulsions:
- Insomnia or lack of sleep (see: Natural Remedies for Insomnia if this an issue for you)
- High fever
- Loud noises (sudden noises, loud TV or music, video games, construction noises)
- Stressful conditions
- Increased excitement
- Flashing lights (particularly strobing lights)
- Prescription or Recreational Drug, or alcohol withdrawal
Actively avoid these conditions the best you can. If noises bother you get some comfortable or noise blocking headphones to help stop the noise trigger of seizures. Using natural remedies for seizures can help stop the sensitivity of the main triggers of seizures.
How to Prevent Epileptic Seizures
How to Prevent Epileptic Seizures. Call 911 for any seizure lasting more than 5 minutes. Have the person lay down on their right side (left side is ok too.) Try and make sure their airways are open and place a stick in their mouth to prevent them from biting their tongue really hard till it passes. Have them shake their hands, move their feet and deep breathe to get a calm circulation going to their brains with proper oxygenation.
All tissues in your body regenerate, even lung, brain and nerve tissues. They were not thought to be able to do so before but more current research is showing just that. We all know that your whole body regenerates in about 7 years, every single tissue that makes up every tissue and organ in your body. You are a completely new person every 7 years, so make it a healthy 7 years and you will reap the rewards of a more happy, healthy and satisfied life! Use the best herbs for seizures and nerve regeneration as show at the bottom of this page.
What Foods are Good for Epilepsy?
What Foods are Good for Epilepsy? Foods that are clinically classified as anti-epileptic are: asparagus, carob, wheat, nut, white lupine, Chinese cabbage, soybean, chives, buffalo gourd, groundnut, butternut, almond, opium poppy, tomato, Italian stone pine, chaya, cowpea, blackbean, pignut hickory, white mustard.
Like everything in this life you need a natural balance to be in optimum health and prevent excesses that cause health problems like seizures from happening to you or your loved ones. Following a healthy keto diet feeds your brain and nervous system with healthy fats and avoids the sugars that lead to being sensitive to seizure triggers.
Best Supplements for Dogs with Seizures
Best Supplements for Dogs with Seizures. Your loving pets can get epilepsy and experience seizures the same way people do. You can help them prevent seizures by using safe and effective homeopathic remedies for dog seizures. If your dog, cat or small pet is having seizure problems they can use the following epilepsy formula to help them prevent it from happening in the future: Dog Epilepsy and Seizure Formula.
You can see the early symptoms in dogs. Dogs predict seizures with a sloppy kiss, and missing stair jumps they would usually make. There are vitamins, minerals, essential oils and herbs for epilepsy that can help people as well as pets. For dogs I do recommend the dog epilepsy formula discussed above as it is made specifically for their anatomy. For people of all ages see the best supplements for epilepsy and seizure prevention below.
Best Herbs for Epilepsy
Use the Best Herbs for Epilepsy and Seizures. The following organic or wildcrafted herbs for epilepsy prevention and treatment can really help stop the triggers of that cause erratic neuronal (brain nerve) firing. You can use the herbs separately as powerful liquid herbal extracts (organic and wildcrafted as recommended) at Hawaiipharm.
Take a look at the list of herbs for epilepsy prevention below, particularly the first 10 in the order of benefit in relieving the symptoms and cause of epilepsy and seizures. Use the ones you have (or get them and finally get relief from epileptic seizures):
- CBDA CBD's positive effects on epileptic seizures is well known. CBDA is the most active pre-cursor to CBD and has unique abilities over already reduced CBD. CBDA is a more powerful natural anti-epileptic, anti-seizure, that also is particularly potent against cancers, neuron calming and pain relief. In fact The manufacturer of the CBD-derived epilepsy drug Epidiolex has also patented the use of CBDA for epilepsy. As with CBDA for depression, the pharmaceutical firm seems to believe that CBDA may work for epilepsy at lower doses than CBD. They’re also investigating whether the two might work best when used together, as CBDA may take effect faster while CBD provides longer-lasting effects.
- Lion's Mane Mushroom Extract Organic Lion's Mane Mushroom Extract is a mushroom extract that helps your nerves regenerate and brings a clarity to your bran and nervous system. It is a potent natural treatment for Epilepsy and any neurodegenerative condition as it helps prevent nerve damage and even heals decaying nerve cells.
- Turmeric Curcumin Curcuminoids, the active ingredient in turmeric root proves beneficial in treating epilepsy. Turmeric extract's low molecular weight and polar structure allow it to penetrate into the blood-brain barrier effectively. Curcumin also shows antidepressant activity, modulating the release of serotonin and dopamine associated with feelings of well being. Curcumin enhances the level of brain derived neurotrophic factor which acts on certain neurons of the central nervous system. The neuroprotective properties of curcumin extract prove highly beneficial in treating epilepsy naturally and safely. Take 2 to 3 times per day with black pepper (bioperine) for maximum absorption.
- Panax Ginseng Panax Ginseng, which is Asian ginseng or Chinese ginseng, rejuvenates your brain cells. It balances the actions of acetylcholine and choline-sterase. Acetylcholine stimulates the nerve cell to generate small electric charge which is transmitted to the next cell carrying messages back and forth from the brain. Choline-sterase enables the nerve cell to recuperate and recharge itself. Thus promotes the normal formation and transmission of impulses. Takes time to work usually 4-5 months, but it keeps working long after it's finished and may stop it from happening again. 400-600 mg a day is great for adults and less for children. (Use in the morning or early afternoon and take apart from vitamin C, as it lessens the effects of ginseng.)
- Mucuna Pruriens Natural L-Dopa, dopamine and GABA precursor. When people have epilepsy or seizures, nerve cells that produce dopamine in the brain slowly break down and die. Lowered levels of dopamine cause the abnormal brain activity that leads to epilepsy and Parkinson’s symptoms. It naturally provides Anticataleptic and antiepileptic activity because of the ethanolic extract of Mucuna Pruriens leaves that boosts natural dopamine levels that stabilize your brain and neurons. It’s also recommended to cycle this supplement and take it 4-5 days a week, or during weekdays and take the weekend off to allow your neurotransmitters to catch up and balance themselves. 200-500 mg two times a day morning and before sleep.
- Blue Vervain Blue Vervain greatly helps prevent convulsions or seizures in those with neurological diseases like epilepsy by prolonging their onset time and shortening their duration. Verbenin, the active ingredient in vervain is even favored over bromide, a compound frequently usually used in epilepsy treatment. Blue vervain promotes the development of new blood vessels in the brain supplying critical oxygen to your brain and nervous system. It also protects against the loss of brain cells or neurons and reduces the toxicity of beta-amyloid that leads to Alzheimer's. Take 2-3 times per day, particularly before sleep.
- Magnolia Bark or Honokiol calms brain receptors and neurons that cause epileptic seizures, particularly drug resistant seizures. Magnolia Bark taken as a supplement easily crosses the blood-brain barrier reducing oxidative stress in the brain and throughout the body. It like CBDA activates GABA and cannabinoid receptors in your brain. GABA receptors control how active your brain neurons fire (discharge electrical waves) and Cannabinoid receptors like CB1 and CB2 are well known to prevent and lessen the severity and duration of seizures.) Take once or twice a day, particularly before sleep.
- Lobelia has relaxing effects on both parts of your nervous system (CNS and ANS.) Lobelia is used in convulsive and inflammatory disorders such as epilepsy, seizures, tetanus, diphtheria, angina pain, and debilitating back spasms. Where relaxation of the CNS or ANS is required to subdue spasms, it is invaluable. Several studies have shown that active constituent Lobeline reduces epileptic seizures by enhancing the GABA release in the brain; it appears to work especially well in cases of petit mal epilepsy. It is also used for tetanus or “lock jaw”; chorea, a nervous disease causing involuntary and irregular movements; delirium tremens; and even poisoning by strychnine, ptomaine, and toadstools. Samuel Thompson wrote, “In cases where the spasms are so violent that they are stiff, and the jaws become set, by pouring some of this liquid into the mouth between the cheek and teeth, as soon as it touches the glands roots of the tongue, the spasms will relax, and the jaw will become loosened so that the mouth will open. On the epilepsy talk board someone shared how it worked for them; “Last night I was just sitting back & relaxing watching TV & i quickly felt a feeling in my stomach, & then THAT QUICK a feeling starting in my head. I did not just sit there to see what was going to happen. I knew where my LOBELIA was & I took 1/2 a dropper full of it with 2 to 3 oz of water. After 5 minutes it was all gone.” Lobelia is a highly potent herb, so use as directed on your label of the extract as needed, I have it by my nightstand since I've discovered it and it really works well.
Support Herbs for Epilepsy
- Valerian Root Valerian root works by increasing the production of GABA neurotransmitters in the brain. This neurotransmitter helps to reduce anxiety and stress levels in the body. Valerian root also works by stimulating acetylcholine levels which help to improve memory formation and focus. Valerian has been used for centuries to help people with insomnia or sleep disorders or epilepsy and anxiety. It is also commonly used as a natural alternative to sleeping pills because it is non-habit forming and does not cause drowsiness during daytime hours. Take up to 2 times a day, morning and before sleep.
- Black Cohosh Dr. John R. Christopher (the master herbalist) helped stop epilepsy and seizures in many patients with Black Cohosh extract. Dr. Shook cured epilepsy on an “incurable” patient using alcohol extracted Black Cohosh tincture, and the seizures gradually decreased from up to thirty in one day to nearly none after six months. Black Cohosh is used to prevent muscle spasms and as a sedative, black cohosh has long been a favorite herbal remedy for those with seizure disorders such as epilepsy.
- Lemon Balm (Melissa herb) Lemon balm acts exactly like benzodiazepines, but without the side effects and addictive traits. Benzodiazepines are man-made medications that cause mild to severe depression of the nerves within the brain (central nervous system) and sedation (drowsiness.) A potent inhibitor of brain GABA transaminase (an enzyme target in the therapy of anxiety, epilepsy and related neurological disorders.) Can be taken day or night (300 to 600 mg daily or as a liquid extract or tea) to calm nerves and help you sleep well.
- Bacopa Monnieri Calms the neurons that are associated with epileptic seizures. Very useful ally against epilepsy and other similar disorders that result in seizures. Take 2 times a day, morning and afternoon.
- Passion Flower Passionflower extract is a useful treatment for absence seizures. This is most likely due to its GABA and opioid (serotonin boosting) effects. Using a passion flower extract at a dose of .4 mg/kg, the passionflower extract (Pasipay) was found to delay the onset of seizures and reduce their duration.
Herbs to Avoid with Epilepsy
- L-Theanine Theanine is not an herb but an amino acid that is linked with epilepsy. It decreased the chances for focal seizures, but increased the chances of generalized seizures. So you might want to try it for focal seizures and avoid it for general seizures. Since there are other more useful supplements I'd personally avoid using it. (200 mg daytime for focal seizures.)
Using any of the above herbs for epilepsy (and avoiding the ones that cause seizures) can stop the uncontrollable shaking. You can use them together or with Essential Oils for Seizures as they work harmoniously to stop the cause of your epileptic seizures for good. If you want to take the best recommended natural herbs for epilepsy, then start with (Lobelia, Wood Betony, CBDA, Panax Ginseng, GABA, Vinpocetine, 5-HTP, Full Spectrum Magnesium.)
Consistency is key so, taking them for a couple of months will usually get you past epilepsy and seizures without a hitch. You can find the best wildcrafted and organic herbs for epilepsy and any other condition at Hawaii's Organic Pharm.
What is the Best Vitamin for Epilepsy?
What is the Best Vitamin for Epilepsy? Tremor Miracle (pictured above) has the best vitamins, minerals and herbs all in one easy to use supplement that really works. It has most of the individual natural remedies for seizures and epilepsy all in one powder or capsule form. The best vitamins for epilepsy and seizures prevention is GABA and L-Arginine together, along with 5-HTP, B Complex, full spectrum magnesium and support herbs.
Most seizure/epileptic medicines “especially those that end with **zepam try and increase GABA levels artificially Natural GABA Supplements do it naturally (Griffonia extract.) It has to cross the blood brain barrier for it to work effectively. Taking it with L-Arginine (especially Citrulline DL-Malate) increases this ability of GABA by 400% and it really works!
Vitamin B Complex and Vitamin D3 are great vitamins for epilepsy control. Melatonin is also beneficial but is not an actual vitamin but a hormone. It is usually deficient in those experiencing epileptic seizures so it makes sense to supplement with it as it can lessen the occurrence and severity of seizures. The B vitamins can be helpful, particularly vitamin B1 and niacin (low dose niacin 25 mg to 50 mg) the kind that does cause flushing as this is beneficial but very light in small dosages.
- Brain Essence has the best herbs, minerals and amino acids that promote calmness, clarity and healing to your brain and nervous system naturally. It is made with pure organic ingredients to you get all healing without harmful toxins.
- Tremor Miracle is a natural supplement for essential tremors from all causes (Epilepsy, Huntington's, Parkinson's, Stroke and Nervous System Disorders)
- Nerve Health Botanicals help your brain and nerve cells, including the nerve sheaths and coverings maintain healthy fibers and proper nerve conduction.
- GABA (500 – 750 mg before sleep, ideally with L-Arginine.) GABA is the main ‘inhibitory neurotransmitter’ in the brain, its principal role is to reduce the activity of nerve cells in the nervous system. Researchers suggested that by using GABA and L-Arginine, the amount of GABA in the brain increased by four times more than just GABA alone. L-Arginine increases nitric oxide levels in the brain. And that makes the barrier more open to GABA.
- 5-HTP 5- Hydroxytryptophan or 5-HTP reduces seizure sensitivity and consequently improves the quality of life for individuals with epilepsy. Studies have shown that therapies that increase Serotonin levels decreased the number of epileptic fits greatly. Taking 5-HTP as a natural supplement has been proven to naturally boost your body’s Serotonin levels which has been seen to be effective in reducing the number of epileptic seizures. Take 50 – 200 mg once or twice a day, preferably before sleep and combined with GABA.
- Vinpocetine (Periwinkle Extract) has strong anticonvulsant properties and boosts cerebral circulation (healthier red blood cells and increased oxygen uptake.) Vinpocetine helps boost blood flow to and within the brain. Improving the flow of oxygen and glucose that feed ATP to power brain cells. Vinpocetine blocks the accumulation of sodium in neurons, inhibits an enzyme called PDE1 (phosphodiesterase type 1) while reducing calcium levels in brain cells. When both of these are elevated, the smooth muscle in blood vessels contract, narrowing the diameter of blood vessels. And restricting blood flow to that area of the brain. You may be familiar with PDE5 inhibitors like Viagra® which work to dilate blood vessels and maintain healthy blood flow to your penis. Vinpocetine has a similar mechanism of action in your brain. protects neurons from glutamate and NMDA toxicity. 10 mg one to 3 times a day is great. Take with food or a source of dietary fat so it doesn't upset your stomach.
- Full Spectrum Magnesium Magnesium deficiency is associated with seizures, as it acts as a natural calcium channel blocker similar to some AEDs. A form of magnesium, called magnesium-L-threonate, penetrates the brain effectively and may offer more protection for patients with epilepsy. That's why you need a full spectrum magnesium supplement that has it in proper balance to stop excess calcium from generating seizures. (200-400 mg before bedtime is ideal.)
- Tudca (Tauroursodeoxycholic Acid) is a neuroprotective supplement that is a specific bile salt. It is a brain and nervous system protector, improves gut health (which has a lot to do with brain health) and Adaptogen. It is highly beneficial for those with ALS, Alzheimer's (Beta Amyloid Plaques), Parkinson's, Huntington's, Dementia, Epilepsy, Spasms. Stroke and Neurological disorders as well as gut disorders. It is recommended by the holistic doctor (Dr. Berg) for this purpose. It is also helpful for gallstones (bile cholesterol stone) and cirrhosis of the liver. It is protective for your eyes (helps Vitamin A absorption in your eyes) and helps reverse diabetic retinopathy. It is a natural Anti-inflammatory and helps with insulin resistance and metabolic disorders. It protects your kidneys and gut lining too.
- Omega 3 Oils Just three capsules of fish oil a day — around 1080 mg of omega-3 fatty acids — were found to significantly reduce the incidence of seizures in patients with so-called drug-resistant epilepsy according to UCLA. (Particularly Krill oil, 3 times a day.)
Iron is also helpful if the epilepsy or seizures are due to lack of oxygen to the brain. You can also use herbs for epilepsy, essential oils for epilepsy and other supplements for epilepsy that can prevent seizure onset and even reverse the cause of epilepsy with consistent use.
Always check with your health care provider if you are taking epileptic medicines to make sure they will not interfere with them. You can find most of the above at the best prices online at: Bulk Herbs and Supplements.